Wednesday, May 9, 2007

There's No One Driving That Thing!

Andy: There is a car outside and I think there is something wrong with his brakes because his tires are kind of clumping.

Mom: What do you mean?

Instead of trying to figure out what he meant I decided to just go out and see for myself. As I walk out the door I see a car on the opposite side of the street slowly rolling down the hill and quickly picking up speed. At this point I know I will never catch up to it and see that the doors are locked anyway. Two houses down the neighbor's white Cherokee is parked on the curb right in front of the car. Just before it would have smashed into the Cherokee, the car veers to the opposite side of the street, plows through a flower bed and into a driveway of the house 2 houses down from us (it seemed a lot further watching it roll down the hill). Andy and Will take off down the hill behind the car to see where it ended up while I ran up to the house where the car had been parked to let them know that their car had just rolled down the hill.

Seconds after the car hit the retaining wall, the two neighbor guys came running from their yard and in less than a minute the homeowner came home from work. I can imagine her surprise when she drives up and sees 5 or 6 people standing in front of her driveway staring.

Thankfully there was little damage to both the car or the neighbor's property. The guys helped her get the car out of the driveway and check for any damage. Chris said that the brake was set and the owner claimed that the car was in gear, so who knows how it happened. But no one was hurt and it could have been much worse, so all in all it was a good lesson in why you turn your wheels when parking on a hill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How frightening that must have been! Praise the Lord no one was hurt.

Happy Belated Birthday! How fun - a new stove! I'm a practical person myself so I love gifts that I can really use. I'm sure you are enjoying cooking with it. I love the photos Andy took, nicely done! We stopped in at Winco (around 9:00 pm) after buying our car and thought of you guys. Hope things are going well you!

Kate