Saturday, April 12, 2008

Passover Seder

Last night was my 2nd Annual Growing Up Where Jesus Lived Passover Seder. We had almost 40 guests there to celebrate Passover (a little early) and enjoy kosher desserts with friends.

The evening starts off with a Jews for Jesus video called Christ in the Passover (I highly recommend it!). Then we all move downstairs for our seder. We don't do a whole meal, but instead eat dessert where the meal should be. The kids enjoy cleaning all the leaven from the "house" and searching for the aifikomen (a piece of matzah) for their prize. I am not sure they enjoy eating parsley dipped in water with the salt content of the Dead Sea or feeling that burning sensation in your sinuses after you've eaten kosher grated horseradish. But we had a lot of fun!

It is amazing to see once again how God was preparing His people for Jesus' coming in the celebration of Passover! If you ever get the chance to go to a seder or have one, you should.


I wish I had taken more pictures of the room all set up, but I was so busy I forgot. But here are a few I remember to take during dessert...

the head table

waiting in line for desserts

enjoying dessert

one of our guests even dressed for the occasion (he even remembered that Jews take their shoes off when going to the Temple or entering a house)


Next year in Jerusalem!

3 comments:

Stack said...

Hi there...We are planning a Seder for our homeschool co-op...the problem is I have 3 classes...the 6th graders (2 boys), the K-2 (6 girls, 4 boys, NON-READERS) and then 3-5 (3 boys, 6 girls)...and I only have 45 minutes each.

Could you tell me what you did for dessert??? Did it relate to the passover itself or was it separate. Anything to cut down the content without destroying the meaning would be helpful if you can think of it...

Thanks,
Stack

Leingang Family said...

Stack-

Our Seder takes a little over 2 hours.

We eat dessert in the place in the Haggadah where you should eat the meal. We all made kosher desserts (which is tricky) to eat.

I think it would be hard to do in a short period of time, especially with non-readers. It is really a leader/response sort of "program".

Maybe it would be easier to just have all the components of the Seder plate and explain the meaning of all the parts of the plate, the meal and the Haggadah.
Then the kids could try all the things and they would know what they mean.

Hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!

Stack said...

Thanks...I may be doing an ALL group sedar now...an hour...maybe an hour and a half...

Can I email you??? My heart is in my mouth at the thought of this...