Saturday, August 22, 2009

Camping On Walker Island

This year the boys and I decided to camp on Walker Island again. Chris took the morning and afternoon off to help us get set up and take us out skiing and tubing.

Shortly after arriving on the island, a group of kayakers pulled up with a pontoon boat. It was a tour group from Rainier, OR heading for Astoria on the coast. While we’ve never had neighbors before on Walker Island, I have to admit it was nice to have people close by overnight.

River camp day 1 01

The water was like glass and so both Zack and I took the opportunity to head out on the water. I haven’t skied much in the last 17 years, but I did pretty well if I do say so myself. But after all the spelunking the day before, my legs got fairly tired (which I realized about halfway through my circuit). Thankfully, not wanting to fall is a great motivator to stay up even when you’re legs don’t want to. :o) Zack did great on the tube and got a nice ride!

River camp day 1 02River camp day 1 03

After taking Chris back to the dock, we headed back to camp to do dishes and enjoy a campfire. Despite the ban on beach fires, we went back home to get our firepit. It just doesn’t seem like camping without a fire.

Our very nice neighbors had extra very yummy lasagna that they shared with us and a couple of the guys played football with the boys.

River camp day 1 05

A gorgeous sunset and a very starry sky made for a perfect ending to our first day at camp.

River camp day 1 04

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds beautiful and adventerous! That return boat trip sounds harrowing. Glad everyone was safe.