Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Woodcutting Woes

Warning! Woodcutting may be hazardous to your health…

Today we went up to Sore Acres to get some firewood and fall a few alder for Don. The skies were sunny and blue, the weather warm… who would have known that danger lurked in the future???

Before Don headed back down towards home, we all got to take a shot with his golf ball launcher. It was really fun! And to think that big guns were the safest part of our day…

woodcutting 01woodcutting 02   We quickly fell into a rhythm, each with our own job to do. Chris fell the tree, Andy limbed it with the hatchet, I piled the limbs into a pile, Chris and Andy cut the wood into pieces, Zack and Will loaded it into the quad trailer and drove it down and stacked it into our trailer. It was quite an effective system…

woodcutting 03woodcutting 05  woodcutting 08 woodcutting 12

woodcutting 07 This continued for a bit, until… Chris caught his jeans in the saw and ripped them. Figuring this would be the most exciting event of the day, I captured it on film. Little did I know…

woodcutting 06After the trailer was all filled up, we set out to fall a few more trees and  stack up a few more rounds to come back for the next time…

woodcutting 04woodcutting 10woodcutting 09woodcutting 11Just when we were taking down the last bunch of little alder before heading home for the day, I heard the words you don’t want to hear coming from a person using a chainsaw. “I cut myself.” Now I had already heard this once today, so I didn’t panic. One of the boys asked, “Did it cut your skin?” When the answer was “yes”, boys took off running to see the damage. Since he wasn’t yelling or passing out and shortly thereafter continued to work, I still did not panic. Then William returned to where I was standing, camera in hand and reassured me with, “Here, I took this picture for your comfort.” The picture of a giant red, bloody gash didn’t really do much for my comfort. But then when he smiled and zoomed the picture back to more realistic proportions, I again realized there wasn’t need to panic.

woodcutting 13After getting the last tree down, my injured lumberjack trudged back down the hill to the van (and our first aid kit) and left me and the boys to gather up the gear.

Needless to say, that’s the most danger I care to have while woodcutting. So to celebrate our good fortune at not being hurt much worse, we stopped for chicken and ice cream at The Chicken House in Woodland! 

3 comments:

me said...

It was the first time reading your blog. I like the subject matter and I found it to be put together with truth and humor. I hope the wound heals fast and thanks for sharing part of your life with me.
Best wishes to your family and you are in my prayers, Sincerly Michael W. Hobbs and family

Celina Sherman said...

Oh you all were so close! Would have LOVED to see you! Miss you guys! Glad to hear that no one got badly hurt! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad he's alright- definately not words you want to hear from a man with a chainsaw...