Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Day In Japan

Ok, I really didn’t go to Japan… But my sister, her friend Trina and I went to Seattle for Theresa’s birthday on Friday. Our mission, Uwajimaya and Daiso.

After a bit of driving around and enjoying some of the scenery in Seattle (ok, I got us a bit lost), we hit Uwajimaya. We probably should have eaten first… It’s never good to grocery shop when you’re hungry. And they had TONS of yummy, cool, freaky, exotic things to eat!!! I stuck to my budget (for the most part) and got all kinds of fun stuff!

Seattle shopping  05

So many fun things to try! Which one first???

I can’t believe I forgot to take pictures while we were there… Arrr!!!!

Uwajimaya not only has a huge Asian grocery but also a food court with so many delicious choices. After wandering up a down and perusing all the menus, we decided on Korean BBQ. The guy at the counter promised us he would make it worth our wait and I wanted to try their homemade Kimchi. He was right! I had bulgogi (beef), spicy pork, brown rice, kimchi and bean sprouts. Delicious!!! Then we had Beard Papa’s cream puffs for dessert. Yum! On the way out the door, Theresa also bought a bag of hot roasted chestnuts. Not bad… :o)  Yeah, we like food!!!

We also wandered through the bookstore. It is a HUGE Japanese language bookstore with all kinds of books, magazines, stationary and gifts! If only I knew Japanese…

Next we hit Westlake Center mall and Daiso, the largest 100 yen store in Japan. It’s a really cool Japanese dollar store! If I thought it was hard to have restraint at Uwajimaya, Daiso was WAY worse! There were cool things everywhere I turned… “Girl wearing red hood” stationary, gummy mango candies, bento supplies, rice bowls, tea cups... I had to put quite a few things back that I knew I didn’t really NEED.

Seattle shopping  03My things-I-need pile (disposable pastry bags, new spray bottle nozzles and bubble tea straws)

Seattle shopping  01 

My crafty-things pile (decorative masking tape, silicon muffin liners, and embroidery thread)

Seattle shopping  04

My things-I-want-to-try pile (hard boiled egg molds and popsicle molds)

bento  01

My bento pile

Seattle shopping  02

My things-I-just-liked pile (mug, glass bottle, wrapping paper and tin foil with giraffes on it)

If you ever get a chance, go! Thanks for inviting me Theresa! I had a fantastic day!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a child, we went to Uwajimaya occassionally with my grandparents, my grandma's second husband was japanese-american, I haven't been there in years! We have a Daiso in the mall near us, I get overwhelmed in there, there are soooo many things!!

Did you know that Leif in a building that is just across the street from Westlake!!! How funny it would have been if he'd gone over and saw you there!!!