Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cranberry Boggin’

My youngest son and I went on an adventure today out to Long Beach to pick  cranberries. Every year I run out of fresh cranberries long before I get tired of them. Mainly because I adore my friend Lois’ cranberry sauce recipe! This year I wondered if I could can the sauce and have it all year round??? So, I asked a canning expert/teacher and she said it was a go for canning! But that meant I needed a whole LOT of fresh cranberries!

We also happen to live only an hour from the Washington coast where they grow cranberries. And there happens to be a lovely little cranberry farm in Long Beach that lets you u-pick your own, Cranguma Farms. And they are only 50 cents a pound! It was totally worth the gas to drive out, so I picked up Will from school at noon and we drove out to the coast…

cranberry bog 05

cranberry bog 02

When we got to the farm we discovered that the bog had already been flooded. This would make picking difficult but scooping easy. Unfortunately, we didn’t bring waders. :o(  But they did provide us with the nifty pails for scooping!

cranberry bog 14So, off we went to the water’s edge to scoop out our cranberries. The problem was you also scooped up a whole lot of leaves! Little tiny sticky leaves…

cranberry bog 13 cranberry bog 06  First, you scoop them out along with a whole bunch of leaves and a whole bunch of water. All the while being very careful not to get your shoes wet. Then you carefully drain the water off and drop the whole messy bunch in a bucket.

cranberry bog 09

cranberry bog 10cranberry bog 11cranberry bog 12After getting 20 pounds of leafy cranberries, I decided I wasn’t sure it was worth all the work to save 50 cents a pound when there was a  giant bin full of already picked and clean cranberries just ready to fill my bin. So, we quit.

cranberry bog 15In the end, we brought home 50 pounds of cleaned berries and 20 not-so-clean berries…

cranberry bog 01

cranberry bog 04  cranberry bog 03  We’re working on the cleaning issue right now. We’ll let you know how it goes… :o)

cranberry bog 07

No comments: