Tuesday, September 16, 2014

White Walls & Comfy Pillows

We got quite a late start after our first clinic. And if I thought driving on those curvy narrow mountain roads was scary during the day, I had no idea how bad it could get! In the dark, on wet roads in THICK fog, it is almost terrifying! We spent most of the drive singing praise songs… ;o)  But thanks to our amazing driver, Emmanuval, we made it safely to Cheruthony!

map of cheruthoni

We were greeted at a hotel when we arrived and some men came and began to carry our luggage to our rooms. Suddenly, Pastor Michael showed up and told us we were at the wrong place. So we had everything brought back to the van and we went to the guest house across the street. It was their opening day and we were the first guests. The first thing I was thankful for, was that it was warm again… never thought I’d be thankful for that in India. I was also thankful we had brought our own toilet paper, towels and soap! I was thankful for white walls which made it easier to see the bugs in order to kill them. When it was time to go to bed, we were thankful for bedside lights with controls next to the bed.

idukki 45I love the way they folded the towel on the end of the bed!

That was the best night’s sleep I got while in India! The pillows Twere so comfy! The shower, on the other hand, was the worse shower we had while in India! I had to keep telling myself that I was thankful to be clean…

idukki 46the view from our window

idukki 47 

The halls were decorated with balloons for the grand opening. I am standing next to an open Bible on a table under a picture of Jesus praying in the garden.

Since we were right across the street from the clinic, we just strolled over to the neighboring hotel for breakfast before getting to work. Next to the pharmacy we stopped at for gauze, there was a man sitting on the sidewalk fixing umbrellas to sell. We presume he took umbrellas from the garbage for parts or to fix and re-sell. He was later fixing an umbrella for a family while they stood waiting…

idukki 48We had a great view from the clinic, as it was on the 3rd or 4th floor of a building on the edge of town…

idukki 49idukki 53the rest house where we stayed

idukki 52

the building directly across from the clinic

idukki 50 idukki 51   

there were people doing their laundry in the river and that is a mosque on the top of the nearest hill…

Poor Chris had a leak in his shoes that left him with no more dry socks. There was a little shoe shop right in town where he was able to buy a pair of black waterproof shoes for only $4! They were such a great deal, that GV walked right over and bought himself a pair, too. :o)

I can’t tell you how excited I was that we were less than an hour from the next hotel!!! ;o)

No comments: