Friday, August 4, 2017

China: Day Four - Chengdu to Xi Chang

I ended our third full day in China writing in my journal, lying in a big comfy bed on a buckwheat pillow, in my own room, with the air conditioning set to 20, following a warm refreshing shower in one of the most gorgeous bathrooms I've been in. (I really missed my hubby that night.) I had showered in the evening before, but after just waking up sweaty again I said no more showers at bedtime. That was before I saw this shower...





 Best shower ever!


 Yes, there was a window in the bathroom that looked into the bedroom


 There was even beautiful Yi embroidery work on the wall above the toilet

But I should really get to how the day started... in the Chengdu airport pushing my luggage with a fancy computerized GPS luggage cart. It scanned your boarding pass and directed you to your gate. I also had my first sea salt and lemon water from a vending machine. I instantly fell in love! 


I really didn't need a luggage cart, or the GPS for that matter, because I left my big suitcase at the Relax Hotel. I was a bit nervous as to whether it would still be there when we returned. The sign language English/Chinese thing isn't always terribly reliable. I would just have to trust God once again.

I forgot to take my Dramamine before taking off and popped two pills after I got my seat. It took so long for us to actually take off that it had plenty of time to take effect first. But I was glad I remembered because it was a pretty rough flight. Two of the college student volunteers were so worried about me that they offered me some blueberries to eat. As they were unwashed Chinese blueberries I wasn't sure they would help my stomach any and graciously declined. :) 

After getting our luggage, we met our official "minder" from the government and got on the bus to the hotel. 

a statue of a girl in traditional Yi costume at the airport

The outskirts of Xichang was quite rural looking: small farms, goats and trees. Then we got into the city. It was beautiful! Lots of plants, green spaces, small parks, unique buildings and statues...








 We were told that this one is called "Charging Ahead"

But it was still a little bit rural... 


a woman walking down the street with a basket of live chickens on her back

I have to say that I was completely wowed by the hotel the moment I walked in and, as you already know, my room did not disappoint.

this is the lobby (I took it after dark)


 I was also wowed by our first officially hosted meal at lunch! SO MANY different foods to try and they were all so good! We sat with the volunteers and our bus driver. He didn't speak much English but the girls said his daughter is studying English in Chicago.


Following lunch was an afternoon outing to Qionghai Lake. The lake is huge and the crown jewel of Xichang. There is a lovely park on the shores of the lake with a large wetland and miles of very nice, paved bicycle trails. There were bikes to rent and ride. But no one was interested but Joel, Liz, their kids and I. So we rented one tandem for Joel and Liz, a covered 4-person bike for the kids and a single bike for us and we took off...



 I was pretty proud of myself. I did really well keeping up, even on the very steep and hilly bridges over the water. I even snuck in some pictures and still managed to keep up...





Quite a way into the ride we began to run into others from our group who decided to join in the fun. Unfortunately, it's not as much fun in a big 4-person one.

We got a bit lost on the way back by making a wrong turn, but we made it back safe and sound.

I also didn't flash any birds while I was there... LOL



Our group was invited to a formal dinner at the hotel by the Ministry of International Friendship and Hospitality. My tennis shoes (my only shoes) were not appropriate formal attire, so I ran to the store next to the hotel to buy a new pair of shoes. A few of the girls came along to help us. I found a pair that fit me but also had "bling", was waterproof and only cost me 10 kuai (or $1.50)!

Since I sat next to our host, I really appreciated our cultural briefing with Joel.


If you are at a formal or informal meal, the set-up is always the same. You receive a set of dishes that includes chopsticks, a small plate, bowl, tea cup and a second clear cup. All the food is placed on a large lazy Susan in the middle of the table. Everyone takes food from the common serving dishes using their chopsticks and places in their bowl. But you only take enough for 1-2 bites. Your plate is for your bones and other things you don’t eat. At an informal meal, you may put those things right on a plastic tablecloth that will be gathered up and thrown away after the meal.

If you are at an informal meal, anyone can turn the wheel to get what they want. At a formal meal, only the host turns it and no one eats until the host eats their first bite. The host will turn it often, wanting all the guests to try all of the dishes. And at a formal meal you should really try some of everything, even if it’s just a little bit. 


But everyone’s favorite part of the meal is the toast. When someone stands up to give a toast, everyone else stands as well. Then they raise their glasses, give their speech and shout “ganbei” (gon-bay) or “cheers.” It’s one of the few English words that everyone seems to know (along with hello, bye bye and ok). At a formal meal, the host toasts his guests and then the guests are obligated to toast him in return sometime before the meal ends. A meal with multiple hosts and guests gets very long with all the toasting and drinking. Thankfully, alcohol is not required. You can simply pour your tea or other beverages into your toasting glass.

It didn't seem appropriate to take pictures at this meal, but I did manage to sneak one in of all the amazing food!


 this was probably the best meal we ate while we were there


Our host was a fascinating woman. She had traveled all over the world and taught English for many years. Consequently, she spoke excellent English. She was gracious and told us many interesting things about Xichang and the Yi people, including the Yi Torch Festival that was taking place 3 days after we left from teaching in JinYang. It celebrates a famous wrestler that drove away a plague of locusts from their crops using pine torches. Now they celebrate with dancing, wrestling, horse races, beauty contests and lighting torches.

She also gave us some advice to help our students. In order to learn English she said you must "put your face in your pocket." Good advice but very hard for the average Chinese student. Saving face is very important.

Before leaving, she invited us to all come back with our families to visit.

 It was still light after dinner and Chrissy and I decided to do a bit of exploring. While I was waiting for her to get ready to leave, I popped out on a fire escape at the hotel.




 It was interesting to see the apartments behind the hotel with their tiny balconies full of laundry and plants, rooftop gardens and solar water heaters.

While wandering the street in front of the hotel, we picked up a couple of bottled drinks for the bus ride and Chrissy bought some new socks.

I also had to stop and gawk at these beautiful cakes

We were more of a novelty here than in Chengdu. People stared more, we got more second glances and people wanted their babies and young children to say hello. In fact, I noticed a lot more children in general in Xichang. Maybe because it was the weekend? But then again, I noticed several pregnant women. The first I'd seen in China. Maybe because the Yi people can have three children rather than two like the Han Chinese. 

After all that food and travel and bicycling and walking I was ready for bed and I had a super comfy one waiting for me... 










No comments: