Friday, May 25, 2007

A Snake In The Drain

Unfortuantely I do not mean a reptile, I mean a plumber's snake. I honestly think I would have preferred the reptile. The boys could have caught it and made it a pet....yes, that would have been much easier. I don't know for sure but I am fairly certain that the whole reason that the kitchen sink stopped draining on Wednesday night was my fault....

Andy called from Canada and while I was chatting away about how it was snowing like gangbusters at their camp in Banff, I let the rice on the stove burn. In order to quickly make a new batch, I dumped the whole pan of sticky burned rice down the garbage disposal. Right after that, the sink stopped draining.

That night before bed I dumped a bottle of Liquid Plumber into the sink and went to bed. In the morning we had a sink full of Liquid Plumber. So my husband did what every bottle of drain cleaner and website says to NEVER, NEVER do. He plunged the sink, to no avail.


The next step was to borrow the snake from one of the trustees from church. After hours of pushing and cranking we still had a sink full of, now, disgusting black water. Not to mention that my poor husband and much of our kitchen was now also covered in the same disgusting black water.



In an attempt to carry on, I continued to make meals with water from the bathroom sink and just let the dishes pile up knowing that "eventually the sink will be cleared and I will be able to run the dishwasher again." (I have a aversion to doing dishes by hand.) After 4 meals and I Bible study group, the dishes really pile up.




Thankfully we got some great advice from one of the guys at Bible study on how to clear the drain, a Drain King. This is an attachment for the hose that shots a super powerful jet of water through your pipe to blast out the clog. So, first thing this morning Zack and I set out to acquire a Drain King. Two stores, a dozen donuts, and 2 Starbucks coffees later (I figured we deserved a treat) we found one and brought it home.




Upon our triumphant return, I found my husband washing all of my dirty dishes in the utility sink. (He definitely deserved those donuts!)




To make a long story short (I guess it's already a little late for that), IT WORKED!!!! The drain is clear again. Now all I have to do is clean!!!

7 comments:

Dan and Christine Lawson said...

This sounded like a huge event! I am so glad that you were able to get things fixed. Thank God for handy husbands!

Kristina said...

Quite the adventure! You definitely deserved the Starbucks and donuts!!

Jim and Marilyn said...

Oh the memories! We had those kind of snake problems several times the first few years that we lived in Mayville! Finally they re-did some of the plumbing in the parsonage (much to our joy!) and solved the problem.
Blessings on Chris for washing all those dishes! What a man!

Paula Vince said...

My goodness! That story gives me more energy to go and face my own mound of housework, knowing that "things could be worse".
We don't have a garbage disposal unit but my parents had one years ago, back in the 80s when I was still a teenager living at home. I remember the racket it used to make!
As for dishwashers, we've had one for the past few years, just long enough for me to begin complaining about how much thinking it sometimes takes to work out how to stack it to maximum capacity. The thought of washing all those dishes by hand at the sink makes me wonder how we ever managed!
I'm sure you're all glad to have your little problem sorted out at last. Enjoy your clutter free kitchen again,
Paula

call*me*kate said...

My first thought is, "What a sweet husband for doing the dishes!" I'm so sorry you had to deal with that situation - I guess you weren't busy enough and needed something more to do! Glad it's resolved, now. I hate stopped up drains and the mess it creates - it should NEVER happen to anyone! I guess a backed-up toilet is worse but we won't go there.

Thanks for your prayers for Todd - he's still having difficulty. I just want him well. Take care and may your drains be forever clear!

Kate

CJ Olson said...

YUCK!! That sounds like something I would have done! :-) Glad that Chris was able to get it out and that he was able to do the dishes! WOW....pretty impressive! Hope you enjoyed the donuts and coffee!

Kari, RN said...

Thanks for the really great story! It sounds like an awful experience, but now that I read the ending (everything worked out okay) I'll admit I was laughing a little! Great story!

I realized how long it's been since I've taken the time to comment on anyone's blog, so I thought I'd catch up a little! Good to see what's going on!