Thursday, July 5, 2007

Born On The 4th Of July

This year we had lots of reasons to celebrate the 4th of July. It is not only one of our favorite holidays, but it is also my nephew's birthday. Yesterday Charlie turned one! So we went down to Portland to celebrate both a birthday and Independance Day. It was a absolutely gorgeous day with lots of sunshine! None of us could remember the last 4th of July that was that nice. (maybe there hasn't been one. LOL)
First we celebrated Charlie's birthday. My sister had a monkey-themed party that was so cute! She had monkey decorations, peanut butter and banana sandwiches and a monkey cake that took 3 1/2 hours to bake! Happy birthday Charlie! Sorry about your finger. :o( He grabbed the candle on his cake just as my sister blew it out.



He had lots of help opening gifts






Charlie loves his new blocks



Charlie got to enjoy his very own banana cake


that's a big monkey head!


After that party we went to my parents for the big BBQ picnic and 4th of July celebration. We love 4th of July! We also celebrated my dad's 60th a few days late. There was lots of family, fun, food, and of course... FIREWORKS!

Maggie thought grandpa needed a little help

I think that Chris is a little scared about how much I like fireworks. :o) I can't help it, it's genetic. Between my brother, my youngest sister and us we had hours worth of fireworks to set off. Despite setting the hedge on fire (we put it out fast!), it was a wonderful day and we even have some stuff left over for New Year's.

1 comment:

call*me*kate said...

You set the hedge on fire? You're dangerous, woman! No wonder Chris was scared! No, really, I'm glad you had such a fun Fourth. I love how fun your family get-togethers sound. I miss my family, though our get-togethers were rarely that fun! Sounds like you've had a busy week - hope you have a relaxing weekend!

God bless-
Kate

P.S. Todd has been working 5 nights a week in med/surg at the hospital - a tough schedule for us all! God is good, though, because he applied for the night shift in the critical care unit and got it! In Aug, he'll just be working 3 nights a week, 12-hr shifts. That means more days at home. Praise the Lord!