Thursday, December 6, 2007

FLOOD!

This past weekend, this part of the country got to get a taste of God's power and realize that we are NOT in control. There were 120+ mph winds on the coast and torrential rains for much of Sunday and Monday.

While the damage in our immediate area was minimal, surrounding areas were VERY hard hit. The worst flood damage is about 30 miles north of us on I-5 (the main freeway from Canada to Mexico). A 20-mile stretch of I-5 closed Monday afternoon and will probably remain closed until next week. The detour is about 7 hours long and is causing quite the disturbance around here. That being said, our friend Kari will not be coming down from the Seattle/Tacoma area to visit us this weekend before she leaves Washington for Wisconsin. We will miss not seeing you, Kari.

These are pictures from the flooded areas. They are something to see.

The jersey barriers got quite the juggle from all the water
We saw pictures of salmon swimming on the streets in this area on the news last night!

Amtrack is not running trains from Eugene, OR to Vancouver BC
More of I-5

The Super Wal-Mart parking lot
The Highway 6 exit off I-5. A guy from our church was working at this K-mart (just right of the picture) that night. The employees "sandbagged" the doors with bags of dog food which ended up about 3 feet under water. They had to spend the night in the loft until they could be rescued and taken to the shelter!
The clearance here is over 14' normally
The orange building is a little Mexican resturant


The same place from a distance

notice the white car in the parking lot

Be praying for the people who have been greatly affected by this flood.











3 comments:

Kari, RN said...

Oh, WOW! I had even considered trying to come through on some of the back roads, but looking at these pictures I can see why that's not going to be possible!

I'm really sad I won't be able to visit you this weekend. Please tell your family hi, and that I miss them!

Alison said...

Wow! These pictures are amazing! I am glad to hear that you guys are safe. We heard about this on the news, but it is so much better to hear it from someone so close to it!

Anonymous said...

I noticed you had an "Open House" entry and then a "Flood!" entry. I sure hope you closed your house before the flood came! :) Hope you're doing well. Shana and I are well, I'm enjoying my job here in Moorhead a lot.