Monday, April 23, 2012

Fort Clatsop

What a difference between our trip to Fort Vancouver last week and Fort Clatsop this week! The rangers were amazing! We were treated with respect and they truly made the story of Lewis and Clark engaging, interesting and exciting! I learned things I didn’t know before and was able to pick up a few new hands-on objects for my class.

fort clatsop 06 fort clatsop 03 fort clatsop 04a scale model of the fort (it took the corps less than 3 weeks to construct the original)

fort clatsop 05 

a fishing rake inside a canoe (now that’s how to fish!)

fort clatsop 07

Will loved how Clark could draw such detailed maps and this is his drawing of the fort plans

Our guide at the fort, Tom was amazing! He consulted in and played the role of William Clark in the OPB movie “Searching for York”. He knows all kinds of stuff about the expedition, is a phenomenal teacher and got to meet Ken Burns! (I am SO JEALOUS!)

fort clatsop 08a reenactment of a grizzly bear encounter

fort clatsop 10

fort clatsop 09  

fort clatsop 11 

I think the boys were pretty pleased that he even fired the gun! ;o)

I think I may have had more fun than the kids… ;o)

On the way up, we stopped at a lovely viewpoint and played around at the Astoria column on the way home. It was just too nice a day to waste!

fort clatsop 02 fort clatsop 01

No comments: