Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Paris Day Four: Musee d'Orsay

Apparently we weren't the only ones who thought it would be nice to get out of the rain and look at beautiful art. We waited in a LONG line that went clear around the block. I would have taken pictures but it was raining too hard. But we did sneak in a couple of pictures of the statues in the courtyard from under our umbrella...




The museum is in an old railroad station built for the World's Fair in 1900. It now displays art from 1848 to 1914 with the largest collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist art in the world.




I told myself I would only take pics of the art I really loved or found interesting. Turns out that was a LOT of art. Don't worry. I whittled it down. I know it's still a lot to scroll through, but it was very hard to choose. :)




I guess chairs don't have to be comfortable 
if they are art 





The Alligator Hunters

I can't figure why they would paint the 12 disciples as nudes



Calvary by a Russian artist

a sculpture of a sculptor making a statue of a 
gladiator fight

this one reminded me of Norman Rockwell

a painting of Louis Pasteur



I think my grandma had a print of this

I loved this one. It looked like a photograph.


The two station clocks that can be seen from the river...




A painting of painters...



The Ballet Class by Degas



just a painting of a cow...



these three were so interesting


I love the colors in these


this was an incredibly detailed painting


a model of the Opera

this was a scale model of Paris in the floor under glass

The Eruption of Vesuvius 



Pilgrims traveling to Mecca


a couple of van Gogh paintings

The Gates of  Hell by Rodin inspired by Dante's
Divine Comedy

The Four Parts of the World

the use of different stones in this sculpture was gorgeous
it was in a medical school before being brought 
to the museum

No comments: